Published 18 March 2022
Students and staff organise collection for Ukraine
You are a group of teachers and students at our school who started a collection for the people in Ukraine. How come you started this fundraiser?
– A group of teachers got together and discussed the possibility of a Service as Action* activity and what we could do for Ukraine. Like many, if not all, the situation in Ukraine has affected us deeply. We put a message on the internal message board and since then have been inundated with donations from both teachers and students throughout the whole school.
How did you manage all the donated things?
– We made our final collective donation drop this week, three drops in total. The shipment of clothes has to first of all be stored at the warehouse of Human Bridge in Rosersberg. They will then be sorted before they go on their way to Ukraine. Human Bridge is only a 20 minute drive away, so perhaps this can continue.
What necessities have you collected?
– We have looked at the list from Human Bridge’s website, but in the main, we have collected jackets, blankets, boots, hats, gloves, trousers, sweaters, warm clothing as well as toiletries, including soaps, baby powder, necessities for pregnant women.
You chose Human Bridge as an aid organisation, how is that?
– Initially, we decided on the International Red Cross, but they have been inundated; therefore we looked at more local organisations, and found Human Bridge with connections to Eastern Europe. Being so nearby, this seemed an obvious choice. The director met us and was so grateful and helpful.
How have the reactions been?
– We have fed back to our students about the donation drops on our internal message board. Our students feel happy to have contributed in some way, as well as the staff, in this tragic and desperate crisis and we all hope for peace in the near future.
Would you like to support Ukraine via Human Bridge in Rosersberg, Sigtuna? humanbridge.se
* Service as action is a foundational element of the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP). It seeks to develop caring members of the community who act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and their environment.