IB Middle Years Programme
IB Middle Years Programme years 7-10 (including year 1 of ‘gymnasium‘) is a fully-accredited international curriculum designed by the International Baccalaureate organisation. The IB programmes are studied by well over a million students at different ages all over the world. As the first school in Sweden to offer the IB MYP programme, staff at SSHL have years of experience delivering this holistic curriculum.
Students will be prepared not only for continuing their studies through the internationally acclaimed IB Diploma Programme (DP) or IB Career-related Programme (CP), but also more generally for life in an international environment. Those students who want to choose a Swedish ‘gymnasium’ programme after year 9 will have the requisite knowledge that their peers who have followed the Swedish ‘grundskola’ have acquired.
The MYP subjects are taught in English, so that students are prepared for the IB DP and IB CP which are delivered in English.
Assessment on this route follows the IB MYP criteria and students receive IB grades 1-7.
In the MYP there are eight subject areas:
- As Languages and Literature on an advanced level, most students take both English and Swedish /Swedish as a second language, where both language skills and knowledge in literature are developed.
- Swedish can also be studied as a Language Acquisition, at a beginners or more advanced level. As an additional ‘Modern language’ you can choose between French, German, Mandarin or Spanish at beginners level, where you study together with students from the Swedish programme and receive Swedish assessment.
- Mathematics is of course a critical component of the programme and we give support both to students who need the extra challenge and students who find maths hard.
Science, which includes biology, chemistry and physics, is taught with a cross curricular approach.
- Likewise, the Individuals and Societies, which include history, geography, religion and civics, encourage genuine understanding across all areas of study. History will continue into year 10, where also Economics will be offered.
- In Design, students have the possibility to develop practical designing skills and understanding of human ingenuity in the subjects technical design, crafts and home and consumer studies. Technology finishes in year 9.
- In the Arts, there are great opportunities to improve creative skills and students get to utilize the outstanding visual arts and music facilities within the school. In year 10, the focus is on one of these subjects.
- Finally, in Physical and Health Education, students learn to develop a better understanding of your health and wellbeing and have access to the fantastic sports and outdoor recreation facilities SSHL has to offer.
In year 10 (MYP 5) students develop independent research and study skills through the Personal project. This project, which can be be practical or theoretical, is ideally based around something the student is passionate about. It is designed to help the students succeed in the extended essay in the Diploma Programme or similar future large independent essays and projects.
A curricula with clear goals
Fundamentally, the IB MYP is about developing independent minded, communicative critical thinkers who use knowledge and understanding in combination with strong ethical values.
With us, students are educated to become young global citizens, with an understanding of what it means to be responsible and fair and in an educational context, with the desire and opportunity, through our service projects, to make a real contribution to their own local community as well play a part in one of the school’s ongoing international projects.
Finally, we aim to ensure that every student is fully prepared to progress to the next level of academic study, be it within the IB Diploma, IB Career-related Programme or our Swedish ‘gymnasium’.